Friday, August 24, 2007

My mother

My mother has been visiting so you know that had to be weird and uncomfortable. soon after settling into my apartment and literally taking over every inch of my bathroom and bedroom....
she proceeded to inquire about my love life or lack thereof, and like a typical Nigerian woman she told me that i better find a nice Nigerian boy soon because my shelf life was expiring.....
i looked at her and asked her why she didn't do the same, after all dad is not Nigerian. she said

"well i married for love. if i was smarter i would have found a nice rich society boy"

all this said with a straight face. that woman na wa for her. sometimes i wonder if she really is my mother!
the pressure to get married and move back home started right after i finished university while most other parents were telling their children to expand their cv's and go to graduate school my annoying mother and aunties were telling me to find husband and stop dating all these "foreigners". as if finding some rich wanker will solve all my life problems. my mother interjects that i wont have to worry about money, the way she goes on you would think that my father was a pauper. but i think all her new Lagos society friends are influencing her way of thinking, all of a sudden she want to wear the most expensive lace and have a different set of jewelry every weekend for a different wedding she just "has" to attend. its getting quite tiresome. so having her in my apartment for the past ten days on top of hiding my girlfriend from her...
of course i couldnt do that to her!
....actually it might be funny but i decided to spare her the heart attack. i have been consoling Miss B which in its self is getting irritating.
i have had it.
this is getting exhausting, i cant wait for my mother to leave my house! and soon!
otherwise i will actually loose my marbles!

8 comments:

mochafella said...

Interesting, looks like the first time you've actually referred to her as girlfriend.

Dith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
luminousnubian said...

mochafella-OMG! it is the first time i am refering to her as my girfriend...i wasnt even thinking when i was typing that, was just on a rant
im a babe-mothers especially mine are ANNOYING! love her to bits though!
really how come you always envisioned me to be mixed?:)

diary of a G said...

She's right, you know?

AMAZONIA said...

i suppose she is only performing hr motherly duties whatever that MAY entail

Unknown said...

na wa

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Notebook, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://notebooks-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

? said...

this hurts